How to prepare prawns
Try our app for ad-free recipe inspiration - 6 months for £4.99
How to shell, devein and butterfly raw prawns ready for cooking.
Points to remember
- To shell prawns, twist the head off the body.
- Peel away the shell and legs in segments until you get to the tail.
- Pinch the tail and gently pull the body out.
- Take the tip of a sharp knife and make an incision to expose the vein, which will either be down the back or running along the belly of the prawn. Pull to remove.
- Wash before using.
- If you then want to butterfly a prawn, take the knife and slice as far as you can through the middle without cutting it in half.
- Pull the sides apart and cook as desired.
Be careful not to slice all the way through when preparing a butterfly prawn.
Leaving the tail in place on a butterfly prawn will give you something to hold on to.