Points to remember
- Make small incisions in the skin, cutting into the flesh, to allow flavours to penetrate the meat.
- Make small bundles of aromatics and use to stud the lamb (rosemary and garlic is a classic combination).
- Season with salt before roasting.
- Lamb should be roasted 20 mins per 450g/lb, plus an extra 20 mins. Weigh meat prior to roasting to determine cooking times.
- Cook at 220C/200C fan for the first 20 mins and then 190C/170C fan for the remaining time.
- Rest lamb before carving.