How to make cheesecake
Watch how to make a creamy, baked cheesecake with soured cream topping.
This video uses our New York cheesecake recipe.
Points to remember
- Put the biscuits in a food bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Stir through the melted butter and press the mixture into a loose-bottomed tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes to ensure a crisp base when your cheesecake is finished.
- Beat the soft cheese until creamy, then add the sugar, followed by the flour and salt.
- Mix in lemon zest, juice and vanilla extract, then gradually beat in the eggs.
- Add the soured cream and whisk on the lowest setting of your electric beater or by hand.
- Pour the filling onto the base and cook in a preheated oven.
- If it's cooked the cheesecake should have a slight wobble in the centre.
- Turn off the oven leaving the cheesecake inside to cool.
- Spread a mixture of soured cream, sugar and lemon juice on top of the cooled cheesecake.
- Cover loosely with foil and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
WHY LEAVE A 'WOBBLE'?
Turning off your oven while your cheesecake still has a wobbly (uncooked) centre prevents the cracking that is caused by overcooking. The cheesecake will continue to cook as it cools.