Easiest ever cakes and cocktails
If you're looking for quick and easy cooking hacks, you've come to the right place...
If you want to whip up a sweet treat or fancy tipple but haven't got much time, our nifty hack videos are for you. Learn how to make a 10-minute lemon cheesecake, a delicious chocolate orange cake, tasty cherry fudge and two super-easy Guinness cocktails. It's everything you need for an impressively easy night in with friends!
Points to remember:
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 4. Grease an 18cm spring form cake tin with butter and line with baking parchment. Double line the outside of the tin with foil.
- Put 100g butter and 200g dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until the mixture has melted then take off the heat. In another large bowl, beat 4 eggs with hand-held electric beaters until doubled in volume then fold the melted chocolate mixture into the eggs then stir in the zest of one orange.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin then place the tin in a deep roasting tin and half fill with boiling water. Carefully place in the over and bake for 20-25 mins. Allow the cake to cool in the tin then place in the fridge for at least 1 hr or overnight. Take it out of the tin just before serving and top with slices of orange.
Quick choc-cherry fudge
- Put 25g butter and 250g dark chocolate together in a heatproof bowl and microwave in 30 second blasts until melted and smooth. Stir in 150g caramel and 30g dried sour cherries then pour into a cling film lined square cake tin. Leave to chill in the fridge for 2 hrs before cutting into pieces.
Easy lemon curd cheesecake
- Grease an 18cm loose bottomed cake tin with butter and line the base with a circle of baking parchment. Crush 150g caramelised biscuits (we used Lotus) in a food processor until fine then press them into the base of your prepared tin. In a large bowl stir together 397g condensed milk, 300g full fat cream cheese and juice of 2 lemons then pour into on top of the biscuit base. Smooth over to level the surface.
- Put 4 tbsp lemon curd into a piping bag and pipe different sized circles all over the top. Use a skewer to create a swoosh on each of the circles to make a paisley-style design. Chill the cheesecake in the fridge for 2-3 hours or ideally overnight before serving.
- Pour 50ml dark rum into a jug with a handful of ice and add 25ml cold espresso coffee, 25ml vodka, 25ml crème de cacao and 100ml stout. Stir with a long spoon until the outside of the jug feels cold then strain into 2 martini glasses and serve.
Guinness black Russian
- Pour 25ml coffee liqueur, 25ml of vodka and 100ml cola into a tall glass with ice. Stir gently just to combine, top with 100ml stout and a wedge of lime to serve.
Check out our hack page for other handy videos.