Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Creamy Chicken & Mushroom White Wine Rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- Time varies.
- Serves 4
Creamy chicken and mushroom rice dish with that extra flavour!
- Button Mushrooms (Approximately 4 mushrooms per person, or more/less if you prefer)
- Chicken pieces/chunks (any frozen/refrigerated/cooked, a whole bag/tray for 4 people)
- Mini Bottle of White Wine (approx 18cl, any type will do)
- Double Cream (200ml pot does 4 people)
- Full Fat/Semi-skimmed Milk (approx 200ml)
- Tarragon (approx 1 teaspoon)
- Garlic Salt (1 teaspoon) or 2 Garlic Cloves
- Salt (to taste, for light sprinkling)
- Long Grain Rice (1 teacup/mugfull per person or slightly more if prefered)
- Large Carrots (3-5)
- Olive Oil
- Diced Onion (frozen or fresh)
- STEP 1Put you rice in a deep pot, 2x as much water as the rice, add a shake of salt in the water. Put on a low or low-design heat, you want the rice to cook slowly. Watch it as you as cooking everything and if it looks fluffy and done taste a teaspoon full to make sure it's cooked through to the middle.
- STEP 2Rinse then slice up the carrots into thin slices (not wafer thin!), put them either in a pan of water (enough to cover all the carrots), add salt to the water and put on a medium heat. OR Put them in a steamer pan, water in the bottom pan, a sprinkle of salt over the carrots slices in the top pan, place the lid on and put on a medium heat. Keep an eye on both your rice and carrots throughout the cooking process! Turn off the heat when they're done.
- STEP 3If you have raw/frozen chicken, get out the chicken pieces and put them in a frying pan, add about 2-3 tablespoons of oil to the pan and fry them on a medium-high heat until cooked all the way through and have slight brown marks on the outside (but not burnt!). I suggest cooking at medium heat then turning up the heat at the end to get the brown marks. Put it on a plate once cooked and add the same amount of oil (2-3 tablespoons) to the pan again. If your chicken is cooked or leftover from a roast them simple add it at the end of the 'adding wine' step below to warm it through.
- STEP 4If you have frozen diced onion then add a couple of handfuls to the frying pan, if fresh then dice 1 large onion and add it to the frying pan. Peel and slice up the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Cook on a medium heat on a larger sized hob until the onions are soft and mushrooms shrunk slightly and browner. Leave them in the pan.
- STEP 5Add the whole mini bottle of white wine to the pan (approx 18-20cl), and add the chicken again, also add the garlic salt/cloves and the tarragon. Cook until the liquid wine is reduced to a small amount at the bottom of the pan.
- STEP 6Add the cream and milk to the pan and heat through.
- STEP 7Drain the carrots if in a pan, if steamed just add them to your frying pan with all the sauce, chicken...etc.
- STEP 8Once your rice is done stir it to fluff it up and either mix all your sauce in to with the rice or put the rice in the dish first and the sauce on top.