Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Moroccan chicken soup (left over roast chicken)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Delicious, warming flavours - perfect autumn/winter soup. I tend to buy a larger chicken than we need for our Sunday roast, to make sure there is plenty of left over chicken to make this healthy and low fat soup for weekday lunches or a hearty midweek family dinner.
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 jar harissa paste (90g jar)
- left over roast chicken, roughly torn up
- 1 lb cubed butternut squash
- 100 g chopped dried apricots
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes (2 x 400g)
- 1-2 pints of chicken stock
- 1 tin chickpeas
- half a bunch of chopped coriander
- STEP 1Gently fry the onion in a pan with a little oil until translucent. Add garlic and fry for another minute or two.
- STEP 2Add Harissa paste, roughly tear up the roast chicken and add to the pan with the butternut squash and apricots. Add 1 pint of chicken stock and the chopped tomatoes.
- STEP 3Leave to simmer for 15 mins and add the drained chickpeas. Add more stock if the soup is getting too thick.
- STEP 4Leave to simmer for another 10 mins until the squash and apricots are soft.
- STEP 5Taste to check if more seasoning is required.
- STEP 6Serve in a bowl with freshly chopped coriander sprinkled on top.