Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
A filling tomato'y cottage pie with a beef and tomato ragu sauce topped with a layer of parsnip and potato mash and grilled until golden
- 250g of minced beef
- Onion finely chopped
- 1 small parsnip (approx 100g), peeled and diced
- 100g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium new potato (approx 70g), peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp margarine/butter
- STEP 1For the ragu, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the beef and fry for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, mixed herbs and stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, for the mash, cook the parsnip and potato in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash with the margarine/butter and milk until smooth. Season generously to taste with salt and pepper.
- STEP 3Preheat the grill to high. Transfer the ragu into an ovenproof dish and spoon the mash evenly over the top. Run the prongs of a fork over the top of the mash, this will help the mash become crisp and golden. Grill for 10 minutes, or until the surface of the mash is golden. Serve immediately.