Roast Red Pepper & Tomato Soup
Member recipe by blackethouse
A delicious warming soup stacked with vitamins & minerals. Perfect when you have a cold.
- 3 Deep red peppers, halved & de-seeded.
- 1 White onion, unpeeled & halved.
- 4 Cloves of garlic, unpeeled.
- 2 Sticks of celery, sliced & chopped.
- 500g Plum tomatoes.
- 450ml Vegetable stock.
- 2tbsp Olive oil.
- 2tbsp Tomato puree.
- 1tbsp Sundried tomato paste.
- 1tsp Flaked chilli.
- 25g Butter.
- Salt & coarsely ground black pepper.
- Pre heat oven to 200ÃÂC/gas mark 4. Place the pepper & onion halves (cut side down) along with the plum tomatoes & garlic cloves into a baking tray & drizzle with the olive oil. Bake at the top of your oven for 30 mins or until the vegetables are roasted & tender.
- Meanwhile melt down the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and saute the chopped celery for 4-5 mins. Not too hot, don't burn the butter.
- Make up the vegetable stock adding the tomato puree, sundried tomato paste & the chilli flakes. Mix well and then add to the sauteed celery. Remove from the heat.
- When the baked vegetables are ready remove the peel from the onion & garlic cloves roughly chop them & add them to the pan along with the plum tomtoes. Place back on to a low to medium heat & using a hand blender blend until the soup is smooth.
- Season to taste & gently simmer until the soup is at a comfortable edible temperature. Do not allow the soup to boil. Serve with ciabatta bread & enjoy the moment.