- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Great quick, cheap family favourite. I use a bag of frozen haddock (smoked or non smoked) or cod fillets (but can use any firm fish) and whatever green vegetables I have lying around. Perfect healthy mid week dinner.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsps garlic puree
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 fish stock cubes
- 4 or 5 potatoes, cut in to 3 cm (ish) chunks (I leave the skins on)
- boiling water
- 500g cod or haddock fillets, defrosted and cut into large chunks
- 200g bag of prawns (optional)
- 200g (approx) frozen peas or other green veg
- 200ml milk
- mature cheddar cheese, cubed, to serve
- STEP 1Heat oil in large pan. Add garlic puree and saute onions until clear.
- STEP 2Crumble fish stock cubes into pan and add potatoes. Fry while stirring for a minute or so, then pour enough hot water to cover the potatoes. Stir. Bring to the boil. Boil for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are cooked.
- STEP 3Using a fork or masher, crush a few of the potatoes to get preferred consistency. We like chowder quick thick, so I crush approx 50% of the potatoes. Season with salt and black pepper
- STEP 4Add fish, prawns and veg. Bring back to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until fish is cooked through. Check seasoning.
- STEP 5Take off heat and add milk. Stir
- STEP 6Put cubes of cheddar in bowls and ladle chowder over. Serve.