Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This simple vegan Indian dish of chickpeas and spinach is super easy and quick to make. Here's is my own version - enjoy!
- 2 tbs coconut or olive oil
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and washed
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- Seeds from 5 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 bags (400g) of fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- STEP 1Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan, and add the onion, ginger and garlic and stir fry on medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- STEP 2Add the cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, coriander and chilli powder to your onion mixture and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes till the spices become fragrant.
- STEP 3Add the chickpeas and stir fry for another 5 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes and a little water, cover and cook for another 5 minutes then add half the spinach and cover again till the spinach wilted. Stir well.
- STEP 4Add the last of the spinach and cover once more till the spinach has wilted. Add a little more water if needed. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes then switch off the heat and stir through the garam masala and serve atop some steamed basmati.