Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Smoky Mexican Veggie Burger
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 8 burgers
A flavourful and delicious veggie bean burger with a kick of Mexican spices. Don't be put off by the list of seasonings – the result is worth it! Delicious served in a bun with fresh guacamole, rocket, crumbled feta and chipotle-spiked yoghurt.
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 1/2 tsp chipotle paste
- 1 jar red kidney beans
- 1/2 jar butter beans
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 6–8 tbsp self raising flour
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 170 deg/c fan and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- STEP 2Finely chop the onion and garlic. Sweat both in a pan with oil over a medium heat with a splash of oil until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- STEP 3Finely chop the fresh coriander and sun-dried tomatoes, and roughly mash the beans so they are crushed but still keep some texture. (A good way to do this is with a fork.)
- STEP 4Add these prepared ingredients together in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
- STEP 5Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, portion out large balls of the mix onto the prepared baking sheets. You should get around 8 regular-sized burgers. Leave a small amount of room between each burger and flatten the top and sides with a palette knife to create the right shape. (Scooping the mix into a crumpet ring, smoothing over, then gently lifting off achieves this neatly.)
- STEP 6Cook the burgers in the pre-heated oven for 15 mins then carefully flip each burger using a spatula and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. The burgers should be dry on the outside and firm to the touch.
- STEP 7Serve immediately or reheat briefly when ready, in the oven or on a BBQ.