- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Comfort food with added luxury of Smoked Bacon
- 35g Plain Flour
- 35g Butter plus some for greasing
- 570ml (1pt) Milk
- 200g Macaroni
- 125g Smoked Bacon lardons
- 1 med Onion
- 150g of Mature Cheddar Grated
- 3 Slices of Crusty Bread
- 1/2 tsp of mustard powder, or a tsp of Dijon mustard
- STEP 1Peel Onion, and cut into 4 pieces. Place in a saucepan with the milk and a pinch of salt and pepper, and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat, cover and leave for an hour, then strain through a colander, and reserve the milk.
- STEP 2Tip Macaroni into a large pan of boiling salted water, and simmer for 10 mins. Drain in a colander and refresh with cold water
- STEP 3Melt butter in a small pan, and gently fry lardons of Smoked Bacon for about 3 minutes until beginning to brown, then remove from plan with a slotted spoon, and set aside in a bowl.
- STEP 4Tip flour into butter and bacon fat, and combine to form a roux. Add the reserved milk a bit at a time, whisking between additions to keep the sauce smooth. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- STEP 5Cut slices of bread into soldiers, and wizz in a food processor until coarse crumbs are formed, then stir in a handful of grated cheese.
- STEP 6Add the remaining grated cheese to the white sauce, along with the mustard powder or mustard and stir in well.
- STEP 7Combine the cooked Macaroni, the bacon and the cheese sauce and stir together well. Place mixture in a large greased ovenproof dish.
- STEP 8Top with the breadcrumb and grated cheese mix, and bake in the oven at 180 degrees C (160 degrees C fan oven) for 45 minutes. Serve immediately with salad or peas, and allow yourself some ketchup if you like it!