- Preparation and cooking time
- Rice preparation and serving
- Serves 5
Mediterranean chicken casserole
- Chicken 500g, thigh fillets
- 1 1/2 Red onion chopped
- Garlic chopped
- Orange peel
- Olive Oil
- Butter 50g
- Chicken Stock 2 cups
- Dry White Wine 1 cup
- Plain Flour 2 tbspn
- Orange sliced
- 2 Roasted Red Capsicum sliced
- Stuffed and pitted Green Olives 200g
- 1 1/2 white long grain rice
- Parsley finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- STEP 1In a heavy baking pot, brown chicken lightly in batches in 20g butter and olive oil. Set aside on paper towel to drain. In a frying pan, and in 40g butter and olive oil cook red onion and garlic until soft, remove from heat.
- STEP 2Add plain flour to frying pan with onion and garlic and stir in until flour has completely absorbed. Add white wine to chicken stock and slowly add liquid to the onion mix until a smooth liquid.
- STEP 3Return frypan to a low heat until mixture starts to thicken slightly. Add chicken back to deep cooking pot and then pour on the onion roux. Add orange peel (3-4 slices) to the top of the mix and cover with a lid. Place pot in a preheated 180 degrees oven for 20 minutes and then reduce heat to 160 degrees for 40 minutes
- STEP 4Remove pot from oven after 1 hour of cooking and add sliced orange, olives and capsicum and stir in. Add salt and pepper for seasoning and chopped parsley. Serve with white rice and parsley to garnish
- STEP 5Return pot back into cooling oven for 5 minutes while serving rice and plating. Remove from oven and serve and garnish with parsley.