Sausage Casserole for One
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
Just about every cuisine in the world has its sausage, but of course, the British Banger is the best. Unfortunately it is also the wurst (little cultural joke there), and you may have to try many ghastly concoctions before you find one worthy of its place on your plate. I've been through all the supermarket ones - “butcher's choice”, pork and apple (yuk!), leek (ditto), black pudding. When I relocated it took me over a year to find a local butcher who made something I really wanted to eat. He calls it “Old English” but won't divulge his recipe. Boo.
- 2 rather delicious sausages
- 1 banana shallot or half a small onion
- Sliver of garlic
- ½ can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ can of chopped tomatoes
- ½ a red chilli
- Squirt of tomato puree or ketchup
- Stock or a glass of red wine
- Parsley and thyme
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- STEP 2Brown the sausages in a pan big enough to hold everything, then remove and set aside.
- STEP 3Add some oil to the pan and gently sweat the shallot without browning. Add the chopped garlic and as much chilli as you want and cook for another couple of minutes.
- STEP 4Cut the cooled sausages into bite-sized lengths and add them back to the pan.
- STEP 5Add the remaining ingredients, some black pepper, stir and bring to the boil. Transfer to a small lidded casserole dish and cook in the oven for 30- 40 minutes. If it looks as if it is starting to get a bit dry, add a drop of water.
- STEP 6Serve with a baked potato, mash or a short pasta like penne.
- STEP 7Enjoy, then post a comment to encourage other solo cooks to try it out.