Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Mongolian Leg of Lamb
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 8
Ingredients Butterflied Leg of lamb Rubbed with Chinese five spice,fresh ginger, garlic marinated and cooked in Muscovado sugar, Soy, & Black been sauce. Info This dish was mentioned by Richard E Grant & Stephen Poliakoff in the film Food of Love to be one of there favourites Dishes of the shoot. Method Notes Serving Once cooked place the roasting tin on a heatproof surface and allow the lamb to rest for 15 – 20 minutes. Place the lamb on a board and carve in generous slices using the juices as the sauce. Serve with noodles, rice or oriental salad use the juices as a warm dressing.
- 1 x boned leg of lamb. (A good butcher should be able to butterfly the leg saving you the time)
- 2 x garlic cloves.
- 2 ounces 115 grams of fresh ginger
- 4 Ounces 115 Grams of Muscovado sugar.
- 1 x 500gm jar of black bean sauce.
- 2 x generous tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to180c or gas mark 4
- STEP 2To butterfly the leg of lam place the boned leg skin side down on a chopping board. Locate with your fingers the cavity where the bone was and carefully place the sharp knife into the leg cavity blade side upwards and carefully cut upwards so the leg opens up into two joined halves. Tern the leg over skin side up, cover with cling film and beat with a rolling pin so the leg becomes flat and even.
- STEP 3Peal and grate the ginger and garlic Mix together the five spice, grated ginger, garlic with a little soy sauce so the consistency resembles tomato pure.
- STEP 4Score the skin with a sharp knife making sure not to cut to deeply. (Tip a Stanley knife with a new blade dose the job to perfection) Place the lamb into a roasting tin with deep sides
- STEP 5Rub the five spice paste into the scores in the skin of the lamb Pour over the black bean sauce coating the lamb. Sprinkle evenly the Muscovado sugar over the lamb.. Cover with tinfoil and place in the oven on the middle shelf for 1 & quarter hours
- STEP 6remove the tinfoil and cook on the top shelf for a further 15-min.