Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
Quick, simple and veg packed Japanese style egg-fried rice makes use of leftover rice and vegetables. Most vegetables will work in this recipe, so use up what you have. For a lower fat option you could use chicken breast or prawns, or simply omit meat. Approx. 530 cals.
- 1 (roughly 90g) Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thigh
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 Spring Onions, white part diced and green part roughly chopped
- 50g Carrots, finely diced
- 50g Peppers, finely diced
- 15g Shelled Edamame
- 65g Chinese Leaf Lettuce, bottom part diced and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Sake
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- Cooked Japanese (short grain) rice, roughly 45-60g raw
- STEP 1Prepare the vegetables and cut chicken into small chunks.
- STEP 2Heat 1/2 tsp sesame oil on a low heat and add the garlic and chicken thigh, and fry until the chicken starts to turn white.
- STEP 3Add the rest of the oil and add the carrot, pepper, bottom part of the cabbage and white part of the spring onion and continue to fry until the chicken is cooked. If your rice is cold, heat it up now.
- STEP 4Move the chicken and vegetables aside, and crack the egg in the pan and put the hot rice on top. Quickly mix the eggs and rice, trying to separate the grains and distribute the egg evenly.
- STEP 5Add the sake and season with salt and pepper, then add the rest of the cabbage and spring onion and mix everything thoroughly.
- STEP 6Finally, add the soy sauce around the sides of the pan and stir it in, and serve immediately.