Hot & Sweet Lime Chicken Wings
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep time includes 2 hrs marinating
- Serves 4
Hot, burnished & sticky, this is barbecue food without the barbecue. These are great in the summer when you can’t be bothered to put the barbecue on & just as good at Halloween or Guy Fawkes bonfire parties. Push the chilli quota higher if you want to.
- Finely grated zest of 6 limes, plus the juice of 8, plus lime wedges to serve
- 4 red chillies, finely sliced (don't remove the seeds), Roughly chopped coriander
- 2 green chillies, deseeded & finely sliced, 20 chicken wings, Soured cream or Greek yoghurt
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed, 4cm (1½ in) cube root ginger, peeled & very finely chopped
- 290g (10¼ oz) lime marmalade, 100g (3½ oz) soft dark brown sugar
- STEP 1Mix all the ingredients except the chicken, coriander & soured cream in a bowl, pressing the marmalade with the back of a spoon to break it down. Put the chicken wings into this & turn them all over with your hands, making sure they get well coated.
- STEP 2Cover & marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours. Bring to room temperature before cooking. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 210C / 410F / gas mark 6½.
- STEP 3Lay the chicken wings in a single layer in a couple of roasting tins (if you put them on top of each other, they will sweat rather than brown).Cook in the hot oven for 40 mins, turning them over halfway through. If they are getting too dark in colour (because of the sugars burning), cover with foil.
- STEP 4Sprinkle with coriander & serve on a big platter with a plain green salad, or an avocado & leaf salad, & rice. Lime wedges – chargrilled or fresh – look great on the platter, too.Offer little bowls of soured cream, or Greek yoghurt to temper the heat.