Squigy Apple Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes Makes approximately 16 Square
A very moist Apple Cake which can be served hot or cold. With cream or custard But just as good severed on its own.
- 4 Eggs
- 359 g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinklings
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 170 g butter
- 104 ml milk
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 tsp baking Powder
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced or you can use tinned or frozen apples
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 6. Line the sides and base of a 20 x 20cm square cake tin with parchment paper.
- STEP 2Using an electric whisk, whisk the eggs, caster sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until the mixture is thick and mousse-like and the whisk leaves a figure of eight pattern (this will take about 5 minutes).
- STEP 3Melt the butter in a saucepan with the milk, then pour onto the eggs, whisking all the time. Sift in the flour, cinnamon, and baking powder and fold carefully into the batter so that there are no lumps of flour. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
- STEP 4Arrange the apple slices over the batter. (They will sink to the bottom.) Sprinkle over a tablespoon of sugar and bake in the oven for ten minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 160C/gas 4 and bake for a further 20–25 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
- STEP 5Remove the cake from the oven and allow cooling in the tin. Cut into squares, can be served hot or cold.