Warm Chicken and Bacon Salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
This is a versatile dish. Add lentils and serve with Salmon for yummy alternative
- 2 tbs wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 rashers bacon, rind removed
- 1 avocado, peeled, sliced
- 220g baby spinach
- 1/2 baby cos lettuce
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125ml) creme fraiche or thick cream
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- STEP 2Combine the mustard, honey, half the oil, garlic and chicken in a dish. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- STEP 3Line a small baking tray with baking paper, place the bacon on the tray and put in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon and break the into bite-sized shards.
- STEP 4Place the avocado in a large serving bowl with the spinach, cos leaves, tomatoes and onion.
- STEP 5Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade. Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat, add the chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes, turning to prevent catching, until the chicken pieces are cooked through and golden. Add the chicken to the bowl with the salad. Pour the reserved marinade into the pan, stir in the creme fraiche and cook until bubbling. Pour over the salad and give everything a good toss together. Serve while still warm.