Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe (with buttercream)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12-15 regular sized/large cupcakes and 24-30 small cupcakes
This recipe will make around 12-15 regular sized cupcakes, if you are using smaller cupcakes, you will get approximately 24-30. These are fluffy and light cupcakes and they never fail. All we need to do is follow the recipe/instructions carefully.
- 240g Plain Flour
- 280g Caster Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 80g Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 240 ml of whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 150g Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 340g Icing Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp Whole Milk
- 1 Drop Of Vanilla Essence
- STEP 1Preheat your oven 170C/325F/Gas 3. Sift your plain flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Then add the caster sugar and the butter. Mix with an electric mixer until it forms a sandy consistency.
- STEP 2Pour in half the milk and mix it until it’s all combined.
- STEP 3In a separate bowl or jug, add in the other half of your milk, your two eggs and vanilla essence then give it a beat until combined.
- STEP 4Add the wet mixture a little bit at a time to the dry mixture making sure you are mixing with your electric mixer in between.
- STEP 5Once all the wet ingredients are combined, keep mixing until it’s nice and smooth but be careful not to over mix.
- STEP 6Add your sponge mixture into the paper cases and put them in the oven for about 20-25 mintutes or until a skewer comes out clean and they are well risen with a light golden brown colour. Make sure you leave them in for the right amount of time as you don’t want your cupcakes to be over cooked or sink if you open the oven too soon.
- STEP 7Once they are done, take them out and leave them in the cupcake tray for a few minutes then take them out and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- STEP 8For the buttercream, beat your butter with an electric beater for about 5-7 minutes and the butter should be a little more pale in colour with more volume and air inside it.
- STEP 9Start mixing in your icing sugar but I would recommend doing this in a few stages and on a slow speed so you don’t get loads of icing sugar flying all over the kitchen.
- STEP 10Once all your icing sugar is incorporated, add in your drop of vanilla essence and milk to relax your buttercream and give it a more thin consistency.
- STEP 11Pipe your buttercream on top of your cupcakes any way you would like to. If you wanted to spoon the buttercream then I would recommend that you should half the ingredients for the buttercream so that you won’t end up with any left over.
- STEP 12Finally decorate if you wish with sprinkles, hundreds and thousands while the buttercream is still wet then let it all set then you can enjoy your vanilla cupcakes.