- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12 Coaster sized pancakes
Simple to make Scotch pancakes. Slightly more dense than American ones but much sweeter!
- 100g Caster sugar
- 200g Self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- Few splashes of milk
- STEP 1Add the flour and sugar to the bowl (for best results, use sieve).
- STEP 2Add the eggs to the flour/sugar mix and whisk. You will now have a floury, dry, lumpy mixture.
- STEP 3Smooth this mixture out by gradually adding and whisking in splashes of milk. The aim is to have a relatively thick, smooth batter, about the same consistency as thick double cream, so you will not need a lot of milk.
- STEP 4Oil the pan using a brush. Don't just pour oil into the pan.
- STEP 5As a rule of thumb the pancake is ready to be turned when bubbles start to form on the surface. Turn and cook until the surface is golden brown (in total about 2 minutes). Remove from pan and re-grease if necessary.
- STEP 6TIP - Don't make them too big. The bigger the are the harder it is to cook evenly. Keep them hot in the oven at about 110c while you cook in batches.