Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Caramelised apple cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Simple, seasonal and can be served as either an afternoon tea cake or a dinner party pudding
- 3 apples, cored and sliced
- 150g butter, softened
- 25g light brown muscovado sugar
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Put the apples in a large, non-stick frying pan with 25g butter and muscovado sugar and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until just tender and caramelised, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat
- STEP 2To make the cake, butter and line a 20cm round, deep cake tin. Using a slotted spoon, arrange the apples in the base, reserving the syrupy pan juices. Beat the remaining butter and sugar together until fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then sift in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Fold in gently until combined, then spoon the mixture on top of the apples. Level the surface and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
- STEP 3Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a serving plate. Spoon over the reserved syrupy juices, slice and put on serving plates. Warm the custard and stir in the cointreau or brandy. Pour over the cake and serve.