Iced Choc-Orange Muffins
Member recipe by Rowena Wilkes
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Muffins
Gorgeous, rich, chocolatey muffins full of orange flavour. Your friends and family will LOVE them. Amazing!
- For the Muffins:
- 2 large oranges
- about 125ml milk
- 225g plain flour
- 55g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 115g soft light brown sugar
- 150g plain (dark) chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 85g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- For the icing:
- 55g plain (dark chocolate)
- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp water (or you could use milk or orange extract)
- 175g icing sugar
- strips of orange zest to decorate
- Preheat oven to 200C (fan). Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases.
- Finely grate the rind from the oranges. Squeeze the juice of both oranges into a measuring jug. Add enough milk to bring the total liquid volume up to 250ml. The more orange juice, the better. Mix in the orange rind.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Then stir in the sugar and the chocolate chips.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, then add the milk, orange juice and rind mixture, then add the melted butter. Beat together.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined, do not over mix.
- Spoon the mixture equally into the muffin cases. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until well-risen and firm to the touch. Be careful not to over-cook otherwise the muffins will be too dry in the middle. Leave the muffins to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, melt the chocolate and butter (with the water, milk or orange essence) in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring constantly until melted. Take off the heat then sift in the icing sugar and beat together until smooth. Spread the icing equally on to each muffin while it is still warm, them decorate with strips of orange zest. Voila! Delicious!
- Eat and enjoy!