Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Chorizo & Cheese Cumberland Sausage Rolls
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 16-20 sausage rolls depending on size.
A really simple crowd pleaser that’s big on flavour and great for parties, picnics and lunch boxes!
- Cumberland Sausages - pack of six
- Thin Sliced Chorizo - 1 pack
- Puff Pastry - ready made 1 roll / pack
- 1 Egg
- Mexicana Cheese / Mature Cheddar 150g
- STEP 1Start by taking your Cumberland Sausages and removing the skins. You will need 6 Sausages to make approximately 20 bite sized rolls.
- STEP 2With the sausage meat in a bowl add a good pinch of black pepper and mix well.
- STEP 3Line a baking tray with grease proof baking parchment. Onto this roll out your ready made puff pastry sheet and cut it down the middle to give you two long lengths.
- STEP 4Take your chorizo and place down the centre of the puff pastry.
- STEP 5Take the sausage meat mixture and put it on top of the chorizo about and inch wide and 1/2 inch thick. Use your finger to make a channel in the middle.
- STEP 6Cut your cheese into 1/4 inch batons and press this into the channel. I like mexicana as it adds a good kick, but mature cheddar works just as well.
- STEP 7Beat and egg in a bowl to make and egg wash and brush this onto one side off the pastry. Then using the baking paper to help you tightly roll the pastry over and seal.
- STEP 8Use the egg wash to brush all round the outside of the pastry. Then using a sharp knife cut the rolls to your desired length. 1 1/2 inches is a good size.
- STEP 9Spread your sausage rolls out evenly on the baking tray and the place into a pre heated oven at 200c fan for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- STEP 10Some cheese will escape the end of the rolls but this will caramelise in the oven and add a delicious crisp texture and deep flavour so don’t worry!
- STEP 11Leave to cool, or dive straight in like I do!
- STEP 12You can adjust this recipe to suit your taste. I have tried using pepperoni instead of chorizo and also tried different sausage meats. If you are making a couple of batches for a party then have fun and mix it up.