Saffron and pesto spaghetti with beetroot and feta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
buy the fresh variety of beetroot rather than pickled.
- A large pinch of saffron
- 500g dried spaghetti
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 300g cooked beetroot, cut into small cubes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4tbsp good quality bought pesto
- 400g feta cheese, crumbled
- STEP 1Place the saffron in a small dish with 3tbsp boiling water and leave to infuse. Cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- STEP 2While it's cooking, heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the shallots until they are softened and just taking on a light golden colour. Add the beetroot, cook through and season well.
- STEP 3Drain the pasta, return to the pan and toss with the saffron water, pesto and seasoning. Stir in the feta and divide among four dishes. Spoon the warm beetroot on top. Serve straight away.
- STEP 4TOP TIP If you are using freshly cooked beetroot that doesn't have any vinegar, add 1tbsp balsamic vinegar to the pan.