Slow Cooker Provencal Beef Stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Cooking time: 5-7 hours. 9g Carbohydrate. 547 kcal.
- 11/2 tbsp oil
- 55g bacon, diced
- 450g stewing steak, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 125ml red wine
- 75ml beef stock
- 1/2 bouquet garni
- 1/2 small onion, with zest and juice of an unwaxed orange
- 1 tbsp parsley
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the bacon and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until browned, with the fat rendered.
- STEP 2Transfer the bacon to the cooking pot and switch the slow cooker to high.
- STEP 3In batches, add the beef to the pan in a single layer. Cook for 6-8 minutes until browned on all sides.
- STEP 4Transfer the beef to the pot and continue browning the rest of the meat in the same way, adding more oil if needed.
- STEP 5Pour the wine and stock over the beef in the pot, then add the bouquet garni and the onion. Add the remaining oil and onion to the frying pan, and cook gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots and cook for another 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree and garlic, then transfer to the pot.
- STEP 6Cover with the lid and switch the slow cooker to low. Cook for 5-7 hours, or until the beef and vegetables are tender. Season, discard the bouquet garni and clove studded onion, and stir in the orange zest and parsley.