Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Traditional Thai Larb for Lettuce Parcels
- Preparation and cooking time
- Tip: fry the mince at the same time as doing the rice
- Serves 4
This can be made with pork, Quorn or chicken mince. The toasted rice is what gives this dish its name and unique flavour.
- 25g Thai Taste uncooked sticky rice
- 500g lean pork mince
- 1 tsp Thai Taste palm sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp Thai Taste fish sauce
- 2 tsp Thai Taste chilli paste
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 escallion shallots, sliced
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- A few leaves of mint, Thai holy basil, and coriander
- Serve with sticky rice and/or crisp lettuce leaves
- STEP 1Place the uncooked rice grains into a small pan and cook over a medium heat for about 10-15 mins, stirring often until golden brown and smelling toasted.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, dry fry the mince and shallots in a deep frying pan for about 15 mins until the meat is browned all over and beginning to turn golden and caramelized. Add 4 tbsp water, fish sauce, chilli paste and palm sugar, stir well. Cover and cook for 10 mins on a low heat.
- STEP 3Meanwhile, crush the toasted rice in a pestle and mortar to make a coarse powder. Add to the mince with the lime juice and spring onions.
- STEP 4Serve topped with mint, Thai basil and coriander and serve either in lettuce leaves or with sticky rice.