Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Red Lentil Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 3
This red lentil soup is a delicious, healthy, winter-warmer giving you three of your five a day! Serve with some crusty sourdough bread for a delicious lunch or supper!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 200g red lentils
- 2 ham stock cubes (or vegetable, for a vegetarian version)
- chilli flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to season
- crusty sourdough bread, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1Start by putting the lentils in a sieve and rinsing them under cold water to remove some of the excess starch.
- STEP 2Heat the oil in a pot and add in the onions. Turn the heat down to low and leave the onions to gently cook until soft and translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
- STEP 3Stir in the tomato purée until all the onions have been coated and cook for about 2 minutes.
- STEP 4Next, add in the red pepper and mix in with the onions.
- STEP 5In the meantime, dissolve the two stock cubes in a litre of boiling water.
- STEP 6Add the red lentils and the ham stock to the pot and stir. Leave the soup to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- STEP 7If you would like to purée the soup, do so now. I like to give it a few quick pulses with my stick blender to remove any large chunks of onion or pepper, but don´t purée it until completely smooth.
- STEP 8Season the soup to taste with chilli flakes (if you like a little spice), salt and pepper.
- STEP 9Serve hot, with some crusty bread and butter. The soup can also be easily reheated the next day or frozen.