Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
It's super easy Christmas dessert! Cherry swiss roll, yummy sweet and sour cherry sauce, homemade custard, and whipped cream.
- 250g cherry swiss roll (homemade or shop-bought), cut into 2cm slices
- amaretto 2-3 tbsp
- 300ml double cream
- 100 icing sugar
- For the custard
- 800ml whole milk
- 60g cornflour
- 170g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- For the cherry sauce
- 350g jar cherries, saving some cherries to decorate
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- STEP 1To make the custard, put the whole milk in a large pan over a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, put the egg yolks, caster sugar, cornflour, and vanilla extract into a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour the hot milk over the egg mixture, whisking together. Pour the custard back into the pan and cook gently, whisking constantly, until thickened then pour into a bowl, cover with clingfilm and chill until cool.
- STEP 2To make the cherry sauce, put the cherries with liquid and sugar in a large pan. Mix the cornflour with 2-3 tsp cold water to make a paste, stir into the cherries and cook for a couple mins or more until all the juices thicken. Leave to cool.
- STEP 3Put the cream in another big bowl with icing sugar and whip, using electric beaters, until you get soft peaks.
- STEP 4To assemble the trifle, lay the swiss roll slices across the base and up the sides of the large trifle dish or glass bowl. Drizzle with amaretto. Then spread the cherry sauce.Pour over the custard and level out the top. Then spoon the whipped cream over the custard and decorate with the reserved cherries. Pop the trifle into the fridge to chill for 2 hours or until ready to serve.