Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
My Husband is a junk food fiend but he pesters me for Spag Bol at least once a week, it's a good way to hide whatever vegetables I've got lying about.
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 4 bacon rashers, chopped
- 250g beef mince (though this can be increased if required)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 50g chopped mushrooms
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 - 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 - 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1 - 2 teaspoons basil (dried or fresh depending on what you have)
- 1 - 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Parmesan, grated (optional)
- STEP 1Over a moderate heat, soften onions and celery, add garlic and bacon and fry until cooked.
- STEP 2Add mince, this can either be done in batches or else all at the same time, depending on the size of your pan. Let cook through for a few mins, drain the fat if needed carefully, there can be quite a lot depending on what kind of mince you are using.
- STEP 3Stir in tomato puree, let cook for a minute and then add the tinned tomatoes. I use 2 tins and some water if you like a thinner sauce. Season lightly and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- STEP 4Add the herbs and sugar, these can be added according to taste. Let simmer for another 10 mins and adjust seasoning. Add mushrooms near the end of cooking, giving them a chance to soften but still keep their shape.
- STEP 5Serve with spaghetti straight away.