Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Chicken saltimbocca - thin escalopes of chicken fillet layered with sage leaves, parmesan and prosciutto ham.
- one large or two small chicken breast fillets (for two people)
- salt and pepper
- a handful of fresh sage leaves
- 2-3 tbsps grated Parmesan
- 2-4 slices of prosciutto or Parma ham
- a little oil and butter for frying
- STEP 1Remove the skin from the chicken fillets (insert a knife anywhere underneath it and just pull it away).
- STEP 2If you’re using one large chicken fillet, lay it on the board removed skin side down and slice it horizontally as evenly as possible. Keep it cut side up and score it in a diagonal pattern with a sharp knife – it will help the sage and ham stick to it better.
- STEP 3Do the same if you're cooking two fillets – place them skin side down, flatten a little with your hand and score the flesh.
- STEP 4Season with salt and pepper, scatter over the sage leaves, sprinkle with most of the Parmesan and place the prosciutto slices on top to cover the whole fillet.
- STEP 5Cover the whole thing with a sheet of cling film and flatten evenly with a mallet until about half an inch thick.
- STEP 6Turn the fillets over, still on the cling film, season this side with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- STEP 7Heat the oil in a frying pan large enough to contain the fillets, peel them carefully off the cling film and place in the pan, ham side down.
- STEP 8Fry for about 3 minutes until the ham crispens and the edges of the chicken start turning opaque.
- STEP 9Turn over, add a knob of butter and fry for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- STEP 10Remove from the pan and serve with a drizzle of salad cream and a green salad or green vegetables.