Hoisin Duck & Noodles
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Who needs a takeaway when you can have this?! My own recipe thrown together for a weeknight dinner. Sticky, rich and noodle-y goodness.
- x4 skin-on duck breasts
- x4 nests wholewheat egg noodles
- x1 courgette (cut into thick half slices)
- x1 cucumber (de-seeded & ribboned)
- x4 spring onions (chopped at an angle)
- 100g chestnut mushrooms (cut into thick slices)
- Chinese Five spice
- Low salt soy sauce
- x1 tbsp olive oil
- Course ground black pepper
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- STEP 1Pre-heat oven to 160^C.
- STEP 2Score the skin on the duck breasts around 1cm apart diagonally. In a large deep pan, at a medium-high heat lay the duck skin-side down (no oil required) and fry for 1-2 mins until skin is golden & bubbling. Turn the duck over to flesh side and sear for 1 min.
- STEP 3Once the duck flesh has browned a little, take the pan off the heat and put in the oven (uncovered) for 10-12 mins, with the duck remaining skin-side up. Once cooked, remove pan from oven and rest duck while you cook the vegetables & noodles.
- STEP 4Heat the olive oil in a Wok and add the courgette. Season with salt & coarse black pepper and cook until starting to soften.
- STEP 5Add the mushrooms, a few generous shakes of Chinese five spice and a splash of soy sauce. Stir to coat and cook through for a couple of minutes.
- STEP 6In a small saucepan, add the noodles and pour over boiling water to cover. Put on a medium/low heat and simmer until cooked through - this should take around 5 mins depending on pack instructions.
- STEP 7Once noodles are cooked, drain off and lift a bunch out at a time to cut 4-5 inch strands into the wok with the vegetables. Add more Chinese five spice and soy sauce and mix well.
- STEP 8Once the duck has rested, pour x2 tbsp of hoisin sauce over each duck breast, and turn on a low heat on the hob. Allow duck oils to heat back up, and rotate the breasts around the pan until all are covered in the sauce.
- STEP 9Distribute noodles & veg onto pre-warmed plates (or large bowls) and drizzle with remaining hoisin sauce to your liking. Place the duck breasts on top. Add spring onions as a garnish on top. Also sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds if you wish!