Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Chicken & Bacon Stroganoff
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A twist on a Stroganoff which is comforting, indulgent & will absolutely leave you wanting seconds!
- Knob of (unsalted) butter
- Olive oil
- 1 white onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 100g button mushrooms (cut into halves)
- 4 chicken breasts (cut into strips)
- 6 rashers smoked bacon (cut into approx. 1 inch pieces)
- Double cream
- Smoked paprika
- Course ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 100ml chicken stock
- 1 (generous) tsp Dijon mustard
- Fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
- Handful of fresh spinach
- Wild basmati rice (microwave pouches are fine!)
- Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- STEP 1Pre-heat the oven to 180^c. Pan fry the bacon (no oil) until fat is translucent, then transfer the pan into the oven and bake until bacon starts to crispen
- STEP 2In a new pan, melt the butter until it starts to bubble and then add the onions. Fry until the soften, and add the garlic. Cook for 1 min and add the mushrooms. Once mushrooms have softened, empty pan into separate bowl and leave to one side.
- STEP 3In the same pan, add a drizzle of oil and heat. Add the chicken & cook through - adding salt & pepper, and the smoked paprika (around 2 tsp) and stir in.
- STEP 4Return mushrooms, onion & garlic to the pan with the chicken and stir together. Add more smoked paprika is desired, pepper and a splash of Lea & Perrins (Worcestershire sauce) and stir together.
- STEP 5Once coated, add Dijon mustard, tomato puree & double cream, stir together and lower heat to cook down for a few minutes. Add stock slowly, stirring in between pouring.
- STEP 6Add the crispy bacon & small handful of fresh parsley and stir through. In a separate bowl, wilt the fresh spinach in some boiling water for a couple of minutes. Cook the rice. (For a little boost of flavour, put the pan in the oven, cover, and bake while the rice is cooking.)
- STEP 7Serve on a pre-warmed plate and sprinkle fresh parsley over the Stroganoff - and grab a spoon!