Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Chelsea Winter's Fresh Ginger & Pear Loaf
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes A loaf, with 10ish serves
Amazing pear loaf with the taste of fresh ginger - soft & buttery. Serve it as is, with butter, or as a dessert warm with ice cream (and a little syrup and orange zest).
- 200g butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2tbsp grated ginger
- 1 egg & 1 egg yolk
- 2 pears, peeled & cored
- 2cups plain flour
- 1dsp powdered ginger
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 150C regular bake. Grease & flour a loaf tin.
- STEP 2Place the butter, sugar, golden syrup and vanilla in a medium saucepan and stir over a low heat until melted. Remove from the heat, leave to cool for 10 minutes, then add the milk, fresh ginger, egg and yolk. Whisk to combine.
- STEP 3Cut the pears into quarters and remove the cores. Thinly slice the pears.
- STEP 4Into a large mixing bowl sift the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2tsp cardamom (if using) and 1/2tsp salt. Stir to combine. Make a well in the centre and add the butter mixture, stirring with a whisk to combine until almost smooth — a few tiny lumps are okay.
- STEP 5Fold half the sliced pears through the loaf batter and scrape into the tin. Arrange the remaining slices down each side of the tin, angled inwards a bit, so the middle is exposed and can still rise.
- STEP 6Bake in the preheated oven for 70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes or so, then turn out onto a cooling rack. Keeps in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days.