Slo-croc chilli beef
- Preparation and cooking time
- 2 hours if oven cooked,better for 3 to 4..even better for longer in slo-croc
- Serves 4
Hearty casserole style chilli
- 500 g stew beef ,sealed and floured before frying,1 large onion,garlic clove,sliced or chopped to taste
- Fresh green chilli de-seeded if preferred,sliced.Mixed chilli from grinder with grinder loosened to give kernels for a lovely deep but extra kick
- Kidney beans or mixed beans (tinned) drained well
- A little (wine glass) red wine , stock (ready made pouch works well)
- Mushrooms (if desired)
- STEP 1Warm slo- croc on high while preparing ingredients.Lightly flour beef chunks (leave them large or cut them to a preferred size,bear in mind they will shrink in a slo-croc.) Dust off,add 1 tbs oil of choice to heavy bottom fry pan.Once the beef starts to brown,add onion,garlic and fresh chilli.Stir regularly.The flour will start to collect on the bottom of the pan.Keep it moving,but don`t discard.Add beans of choice.
- STEP 2Add stock,continue stirring,add red wine.simmer for 5 mins.once simmering gently,add mushrooms if using.
- STEP 3Turn into slo-croc,add a little more liquid if needed (I find 750 mls works well including a stock pouch)...reduce heat of croc to low and leave for MINIMUM of 4 HOURS.MUCH tastier if you can plan ahead and leave it for 6 to 8).
- STEP 4As an alternative,follow the recipe above until heating the croc,and oven cook.Once you have added all ingredients and simmered down,add to a deep casserole dish and cook on a mid to low shelf of the oven for 2 to 4 hours,but in each instance,remember to add enough liquid to allow the beef to tenderise.Oven temp should be 160 gas