Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This classic Pilau rice recipe is a simple and delicious recipe that you’ll want to make time and time again
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cardomom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 250g basmati rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- STEP 1Heat a large pan, which has a tight-fitting lid. Sprinkle the cumin seeds over the base and cook for 30 secs, stirring well to toast them but taking care not to burn them. Tip out of the pan into a bowl.
- STEP 2Heat the ghee or oil in the pan. Add the onion and cook it over a medium heat for 5-7 mins, until it starts to soften.
- STEP 3Crush the cumin seeds lightly with the cardamom pods.
- STEP 4Add the cumin, cardamom, cloves and turmeric to the pan and cook for 1-2 mins.
- STEP 5Rinse the rice well and add to the pan, along with 450ml boiling water, the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks and stir briefly just to mix. Bring the mixture to the boil, cover the pan and cook over a low heat for 12-15 mins, until the water is absorbed. Leave the rice in the pan but off the heat for a few mins before serving.