- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12 scones
Mum's traditional scones - the best!
- 225g/80z self-raising flour, plus extra for rolling/cutting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g/2oz butter, cut into small cubes
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- 150ml/1/4 pint of milk
- 1/2 jar (370g) jar strawberry jam
- 1 (227g) pot clotted cream
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 200℃/Fan 180℃/Gas Mark 6. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- STEP 2Make a well in the centre of the mixture and stir in enough milk to make a fairly dry dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead to remove any cracks, then gently roll or pat out to to about 2.5cm/1in thick.
- STEP 3Stamp out 5cm/2in rounds using a fluted pasty cutter dipped in flour. Gather the trimmings into a ball, re-roll and cut into more rounds. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- STEP 4Bake in a preheated over for 10-12 minutes until well risen and pale golden. Transfer to rack and leave to cool. Serve with strawberry jam and clotted cream.