Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12
Makes 12. Traditional English Muffins. Great with cheese or honey!
- 375g Strong Plain Flour
- 125 ml Milk
- 1 tblsp Caster Sugar
- 125ml Water
- 30g Melted Butter
- 3.5g Dried Yeast
- 1 tblsp Polenta
- STEP 1Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let it cool until it's lukewarm.
- STEP 2In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- STEP 3In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, butter and 1/2 of the flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
- STEP 4Knock back. Roll out to about 1/2 cm thick. Cut rounds with a plain cutter or glass. Sprinkle a baking tray or greaseproof paper with polenta and put the rounds on this to rise. Dust the tops of muffins with polenta also. Cover and rise 30 minutes.
- STEP 5Heat a greased heavy frying pan or griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. To use, split and toast.