Cheesy Cheese Straws
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 25
My cheese straws have been a big hit every time I've made them. From Saturday's lunch to new years eve party- they always go down well.
- 75g / 3oz wholemeal flour
- 60g / 2 and a half oz plain flour
- 125g / 4oz butter, cubed
- 1 egg (seperated)
- 60g / 2 and a half oz chedder/parmasan mixed and finely grated
- half tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp poppy seeds and seseme seeds
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade / 400 degrees fahrenheit / Gas mark 6.
- STEP 2Rub the wholemeal flour, plain flour and butter untill you have crumbs. Add the egg yolk, cheese and musterd powder. Mix, then kneed into a ball.
- STEP 3put some flour on your work surface and roll out the dough to approximately 5mm thick.
- STEP 4Cut the pastry into straw sizes about 1 and a half cm wide and 15 cm long. Brush them with the beat egg white and sprinkle each straw with either the poppy seeds or the seseme seeds.
- STEP 5Using a fish slice, put each straw onto a lightly greased oven tray. Bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly golden.
- STEP 6Once cooked put them immeidietly on a wire rack to cool.