Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Jamaican Ginger Loaf Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 10
Dark loaf cake that is gluten and diary free
- 170 g gluten free self-raising flour
- 70 g black treacle
- 70 g golden syrup
- 70 g dark brown soft sugar
- 70 g dairy free spread
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 medium egg (beaten)
- STEP 1Grease a 2lb loaf tin (900g) with greaseproof/parchment paper. Preheat the oven to about 170C or 160C fan.
- STEP 2Place your black treacle, golden syrup, dark brown soft sugar and dairy free spread into a saucepan with 70ml of water. Gently heat and stir until completely melted. (Don't allow it to boil!)
- STEP 3Sift your flour and spices into a mixing bowl and then add your warm syrup/treacle mixture to it. Beat together using a wooden spoon until lovely and smooth.
- STEP 4Add half your beaten egg and mix thoroughly, then repeat with the other half.
- STEP 5In a small dish, add 2 tbsp of water to the bicarbonate of soda, mix until well combined and then add to your main bowl too. Mix once more. Your final mixture should now look nice and smooth, with a runny consistency.
- STEP 6Pour your mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 60 minutes.
- STEP 7Once baked allow to cool. The cake should be almost firm to touch, but will firm up more as it cools.