Rare roast beef with horseradish dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A salad to make and take to work
- 1/2 Red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Caster sugar
- 500g piece Beef fillet
- 1 butterhead lettuce
- 150ml Creme fraiche
- 2-3 tbsp Fresh horseradish, grated
- 3 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Chives
- STEP 1Whisk the creme fraiche, horseradish, honey and chives and add enough water to make a drizzleable dressing. Season well and chill while you make the beef. Put the onions in a bowl and add a little splash of vinegar and water. Toss and leave to sit.
- STEP 2Heat the oven to fan 180C. Oil the beef all over and season really well. Heat a non-stick frying pan to very hot and add the beef. Sear all over, turning until a good colour on all sides.
- STEP 3Transfer to a small roasting tin and roast for 10 minutes or until medium rare. Remove and cover with foil and leave to cool to room temperature.
- STEP 4To assemble, tear the lettuce and wash and dry the leaves. Put on a platter. Slice the beef thinly as possible and drape all over the lettuce. Scatter the onions and then drizzle with the dressing. Finish with more chives.