PERFECT EVERY TIME CHRISTMAS CAKE
- Preparation and cooking time
- Fruits can be pre soaked in alcohol such as brandy or rum if desired but not necessary
- Makes 12 SERVINGS
A dark delicious traditional Christmas Cake incorporating whipped egg whites. This cake rises really well and turns out perfectly every time.
FOR THE CAKE: -
- 320g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp each mixed spice, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves
- 240g butter
- 150g dark brown sugar
- 120ml black treacle
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 240g each raisins, sultanas and currants
- 120g mixed peel
- 100g chopped glace cherries
- 100g chopped figs
- 50g chopped blanched almonds
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 5 large eggs
- 200ml milk
- 3 tbs brandy or rum for feeding the cake
- STEP 1Soften the butter, add the sugar and cream together.
- STEP 2Separate the eggs and slowly beat the yolks into the sugar/butter mix.
- STEP 3Add half the flour and half the fruit and the lemon and orange juice and zests (If mixture is too stiff add a little of the milk).
- STEP 4Add bicarb of soda and remaining flour and fruits plus blanched almonds.
- STEP 5Mix 100ml of the milk with the treacle and add to mix.
- STEP 6Whip egg whites until stiff and add to mix along with any remaining ingredients and the remaining milk.
- STEP 7Tip cake mix into well greased and lined round or square cake tin and bake in oven pre-heated to 150C for 3 1/2 hours or until skewer comes out clean and cake is browned on top.
- STEP 8Allow to cool on wire rack and when almost cool feed with the brandy or rum
- STEP 9When completely cold wrap in fresh greaseproof paper and store in airtight tin in a cool dark place.