Bacon Pasta Bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- 5 - 10 minutes under the grill
- Serves 4
A crowd-pleasing, classic bacon pasta bake with a cheese and crisp topping.
- 500 - 600g Pasta
- 16 fl oz Milk
- 3 tbsp Butter/margarine
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 6 - 8 handfuls of Grated Cheese
- 3 - 5 pieces of Bacon (diced)
- 1/2 - 1 mug of Sweetcorn
- 1 packet of Salt & Vingear, Ready Salted or Bacon crisps (preferably potato slices like Walkers)
- STEP 1Add the pasta to a pan of boiling water and cook normally (usually takes 10 to 15 minutes).
- STEP 2While the pasta boils, add the butter to a second saucepan on low heat and add the bacon to a seperate oiled frying pan. Also, begin to cook the sweetcorn in the microwave or in a fourth pan.
- STEP 3Once the butter has melted, add the flour and stir until it forms one. Then gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until it becomes a yellow sauce. Whisk the sauce to remove any lumps and turn the pan up to medium to high heat, stirring continuously until the sauce starts to bubble and turns white. Then leave the sauce to simmer and thicken, adding three to four handfuls of cheese.
- STEP 4Preheat the grill to a low heat. Once the sweetcorn and bacon are cooked, add them to the white sauce. Turn down down the sauce or switch off the gas if the sauce is bubbling violently, it should resemble a thick, creamy liquid. However, don't let the sauce go clumpy and overly thick.
- STEP 5Drain the pasta when its ready, place in a large lasagne dish and mix in sauce thoroughly. Crush up a packet of crisps and spread them across the top of the pasta. Cover the crisps in the remaining cheese and place under the grill until the cheese has melted and top has turned slightly crispy. Serve hot.
- STEP 6This dish can be reheated in the microwave if kept in the fridge to keep fresh.