Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Prawn & Tomato Curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Heady, fragrant and spiced, a simple curry with great depth of flavour.
- 400g fresh prawns, shells on
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 heaped tbsp curry powder
- 1 white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Handful chopped fresh coriander
- STEP 1Peel the prawns, and reserve the legs, heads and shells. If there are veins in the prawns, you must remove these and discard them- don’t add to the “reserve” pile! Set the peeled prawns aside. In a coffee grinder, or similar appliance, whizz the shells, heads and legs until you have a paste. Set aside.
- STEP 2In a medium sized saucepan, heat the oil and 2 tablespoons of the ghee, and add the garlic, onion, chilli, curry powder and the minced prawn shells. Saute over a medium heat for about 7-8 minutes.
- STEP 3Add the tinned chopped tomatoes, and keep on a medium to high heat: you want it to bubble away for 10-15 minutes. Add the salt and sugar, and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- STEP 4In a separate frying pan, heat half a tablespoon of ghee, and fry the prawns until they are pink.
- STEP 5Add them to the tomato sauce, and turn the heat down slightly to a low simmer. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning, and of course extra chilli. Please adjust as you see fit: some may prefer their curry spicier. Add chopped coriander, and serve immediately in bowls, with steamed basmati rice.