Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Artichoke, Anchovy & Caper Bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
A wonderful Italian one-pan wonder relying on handy store cupboard ingredients. Perfect for a mid-week supper.
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and microplaned
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Small knob salted butter
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 60g capers
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp maldon salt
- Good grinding black pepper
- 1 tin artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, choppped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. In an oven proof casserole dish or frying pan, heat the oil and butter. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, anchovies and chilli, and sauté for 10 minutes.
- STEP 2Add the tomato paste and tinned tomatoes, and turn the heat up till it is bubbling. Allow to bubble, ensuring it doesn’t stick, for 10 minutes.
- STEP 3Add the capers, sugar, salt and pepper and bubble for a further 25 minutes: this does seem a while, but you need the sauce to reduce somewhat.
- STEP 4Remove from the heat. Stir through the fresh herbs. Halve the artichokes, and nestle these in the sauce. Top with the cheese and pine nuts, and bake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated oven, until golden brown and bubbling on top.