Summer Pumpkin Dhal
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Easy, quick, delicious and looks good!
- 8 x2cm-thick wedges Jap pumpkin, halved crossways
- 60ml olive oil
- 1l vegetable stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 2 tsp finely grated turmeric
- 400g red lentils
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1/3 cucumber sliced lenghthways
- sliced green chilli, coconut flakes, salted roasted cashews and toasted nigella seeds to serve
- STEP 1Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees. Roast pumpkin in 1 tbs oil for 20mins.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbs oil in a deep frypan over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric and lentils. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until combined. Add stock and half the coconut milk. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 9-10 minutes until lentils are just cooked. Then fold through remaining coconut milk.
- STEP 3Divide dhal among serving bowls. Press pumpkin into dhal and serve with chili, coconut, cashews and nigella seeds.