Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Smokey Chipotle Chilli Con Carne with Garlic Bread
- Preparation and cooking time
- May be prepared 24 hours in advance and served the following day
- Serves 4
This recipe is full of flavour and smoulders of smokey spicy undertones. Subtle but capable of taking additional heat to taste.
- 2 small onions finely chopped
- 20g of dark chocolate
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 1/4 tsp of ground cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric & garam masala
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 red chillies finely chopped
- 1 french loaf quartered and cut in half horizontally
- 20g of dark chocolate ( I used 100% cocoa Irish Handmade Dark Chocolate)
- STEP 1Heat two tablespoons rapeseed oil in an oven proof pot and add onions, leek & fresh chillies. Fry until softened and onions are translucent. Add mince crumbling into small pieces and heat until brown. Add spices and smokey chipotle sauce to taste. (Add more heat if you wish) stir in and fry for 1 minute.
- STEP 2Add chopped tomatoes and red kidney beans and crumble in stock cube and dark chocolate. Bring to gentle boil. Add some warm water to ensure sauce is not too thick but has enough liquid to reduce. (200 mll)
- STEP 3Preheat oven to 150 degrees and put the pot in the oven for 1 hour. Stir every 20 minutes. Remove after 1 hour and allow to rest while you make the garlic bread. ( You may leave it longer and reheat gently at a time of your choosing, even overnight. This will enhance the flavour further.)
- STEP 4Coat french bread with garlic butter and place under an oven grill until lightly toasted. Serve immediately with warm chilli.