Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Carrot Chooshi Pudding Recipe by Hiran B Debnath
- Preparation and cooking time
- 30 mins to make Chooshi
- More effort
- Serves 10
Bengalis call it Payesh and some calls it Kheer. People outside India knows it as a kind of pudding. This is a famous seasonal desert recipe among Bengalis. Mainly we prefer to make it in winter season. Traditionally, People makes it with Rice flour. First time I am introducing it with a taste of carrots. My husband and children loved it. I am sure you will like it too. It's fun to make if you involve your husband and children to help you in making Chooshi. What is Chooshi? You will get the answer while reading the method part. Enjoy!
- Gajar/Carrot - 400g
- Chaal er guro/Rice flour - 100g
- Maida/Cake flour - 50g
- Salt - 1/3 tbsp
- Sugar - 1 cup (You may increase or lessen the quantity of sugar)
- Doodh/Milk - 2 litre
- Kishmish/Raisins - 25g
- Kaju/Cashew nuts - 50g
- Elach/Cardamom powder - 1/3 tbsp
- Tej pata/Bay Leaf - 2
- Ghee - 1 tbsp (clarified butter that is originated in ancient India )
- STEP 1* Grind carrots in a mixture grinder. Heat a pan, add 1 tbsp ghee to it and then put the finely grinded carrots to it and stir it well and let it get cooked for 4 minutes.
- STEP 2* Now, mix the Rice flour and Cake flour slowly to the carrots. Stir it slowly. Take it off the flame and make a Dough of the same.
- STEP 3* Next, make tiny small Chooshi from this dough. (Chooshi will look like Rice. You may see the photograph for reference). Divide these Chooshi in 3 parts.
- STEP 4* Start boiling the milk in a container. Continue stir it so that the texture of the milk starts getting thicker but it doesn't get burn from below. Now add the 1st part of the Chooshi to it and continue stir it slowly so that Chooshi doesn't get broken. Let it cook for 3/4 minutes. Then add the 2nd part of the Chooshi to it and stir it like before but slowly for another 3/4 minutes. Last add the remaining Chooshi to it and finally cook for 4/5 minutes.
- STEP 5* Next add sugar to the milk and Chooshi. Add raisins and cashew nuts to it. Cook it for 2 minutes.
- STEP 6* At the end add 2 bay leaf and cardamom powder to it and your "Gajar Chooshi r Payesh" (Carrot Chooshi Pudding) is ready.