- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
Traditional Bakewell Pudding recipe.
- 500g/1lb 2oz packet ready-made puff pastry
- Good quality rasberry jam
- 110g/3½oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 110g/3½oz caster sugar
- 5 Free range eggs
- 150g ground almonds
- Almond essence
- Icing sugar for dusting
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190C (170C Fan)/375F/Gas 5. Grease and flour a 23cm/9in loose-bottomed tart tin.
- STEP 2Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured work surface to form a circle a few inches larger than the tart tin. Line the tart tin with the pastry, gently pressing into the edges. Trim the excess pastry from the edge of the tart tin.
- STEP 3Spread the raspberry jam evenly over the pastry base.
- STEP 4In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, gradually add the eggs, beating all the time. Stir in the ground almonds until well mixed. Taste the mixture and add almond essence if you want a stronger almond taste.
- STEP 5Pour the filling mixture into the pastry case and spread it evenly over the raspberry layer.
- STEP 6Bake the tart on the middle shelf of the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the surface is golden-brown. (this can be up to an hour or more depending on the oven)
- STEP 7Dust with icing sugar and serve.