Festive Mince pies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 18
Delicious melt-in-the-mouth mince pies, perfect for Christmas!
- 225g cold butter, diced.
- 350g plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 280g mincemeat
- 1 small egg
- Pinch of salt
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C.
- STEP 2To make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour, then mix in the sugar and salt. Combine the pastry into a ball and knead it briefly. The dough should be fairly firm and can be used immediately or chilled for later.
- STEP 3Grease 18 holes of two 12-hole cupcake trays with a little butter. Line them by pressing small walnut-sized balls of dough into each hole. Spoon an equal amount of mincemeat into each pie.
- STEP 4Take slightly smaller balls of dough than before and pat them out between your hands to make round lids, big enough to cover the pies. Top the pies with their lids, pressing the edges gently together to seal - they might need a little milk or whisked egg to help stay shut.
- STEP 5Brush the tops of the pies with a beaten egg. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Leave to cool for 5 in the tin and then remove to a wire rack. To serve, lightly dust with icing sugar.